HISTORY OF ZION TEMPLE
Several years prior to inception in 1954, the Lord appeared to a young man, (the late Superintendent Edward Booker), in a vision. In this vision, he saw a crowd of people rushing nowhere. He was disturbed by what he saw and asked the Lord in his vision to stop the people in order to give him an opportunity to minister to them.
This was his official call to the ministry. As a result of this vision, Elder Edward Booker supported several pastors in an effort to carry out the work of the Lord. Elder Edward Booker was not a rich man with worldly substance, but was a man of abundant faith in God's Word. He lived during a period of time where living a Holy and sanctified life was uncommon in his hometown of Hickman, Kentucky. Unwilling to succumb to popularity, Elder Booker served with earnestness and valor. Elder Booker was a dedicated servant of the Lord. He would toil in the fields by day and would walk for five miles to church at night. he refused to let anything separate him from the love of God.
In 1942, Elder Booker left the comforts of Kentucky and migrated to Chicago. As a good husband and father, he initially came alone to prepare for the arrival of his family. He joined Holy temple Church of God in Christ under the leadership of the late Bishop E. Lenox. Elder Booker remained supportive of Kingdom work in his service as an assistant Pastor under Elder Timothy Walker. Elder Walker was reluctant in accepting Bishop Lenox’s appointment as pastor, but was put to ease with Elder Booker's strong support.
In October 1954, Elder Booker felt the leading of the Lord to pastor. Then, called Prayer Temple Church of God in Christ started its humble beginnings in a small basement at 1810 S. Indiana. Shortly afterwards, the Lord impressed upon Pastor Booker to rename the church Zion Temple Church of God in Christ. After several years of working in the Lord's vineyard, the church's membership began to grow. The blessings of the Lord were quite evident in Pastor Booker's ministry. Zion Temple was affectionately called "Holy Ghost Headquarters".
As the spirit continued to move, so did Zion Temple. In 1971, the congregation moved to 1500 S. Harding. In 1973, Zion Temple moved to it's current location at 1414 S. Pulaski Road. Reflecting upon Zion Temple's lowly beginnings and the fruit of the labor of its members, Pastor Booker coined the motto: "IF IT CAN BE DONE, WE CAN DO IT."
In August of 1977, Sis. Annie Robinson called a corporate shut-in with the pastor's blessing. As the prayers and supplications of the saints went forth, one of Pastor Booker's sons, Robert E. Booker heard God's call to become a minister.
In 1978, Minister Robert Booker was appointed assistant pastor where his natural father, pastor Booker and his spiritual father, God, taught him how to lead the people. Minister Robert Booker served faithfully alongside his father who had been elevated to the position of District Superintendent by Bishop Lenox. After the passing of Superintendent Edward Booker in July of 1982, Minister Booker was appointed senior pastor. God has allowed Robert Booker to renovate and completely pay for the church and purchase land within the community; all were part of the vision of Zion temple's founding father. On the horizon, Zion temple will launch Zion Temple Community Development Corporation, in an effort to build a recreational facility for both the church and community.
Today, Superintendent Booker's motto still rings true, "IF IT CAN BE DONE, WE CAN DO IT."
Home | History | Order of Service | Ministries
Staff | Photos | Links | Contact Us