History of the Church

 The idea of Zion Temple Church was first birthed in the south years ago before it was organized in Chicago in 1954. Zion Temple started in the mind of a young man who being obedient to God allowed Him to lead him to the pastorate.

In October, 1954 Zion Temple began officially as a church. At that time we were located at 1810 S. Indiana and the name of the church was Prayer Temple COGIC.

Minister Ocie Booker who had just returned from serving in the armed forces, helped prepare the Indiana Street Church for service. Shortly thereafter, the Lord gave Pastor Edward Booker the name of Zion Temple Church of God in Christ. Minister Ocie Booker served with Pastor Booker for almost two years, and after the dedication of the church, the Lord called him to the pastorate, as well, in June, 1956.

The first non-family member to join our church on Indiana Av., was Sister Myrtis Smith. She stayed with us and served on our Mother's Board until she relocated to her home state of Louisiana, in 2003.

In 1956 we moved to 1501 S. Springfield Av. and we were affectionately known as "Holy Ghost Headquarters" because God would pour out His spirit in that place. We remained on Springfield for 15 years and we left there to move to 1500 S. Harding. The church was on Harding for about a year and a half, until we moved to our present location 1414 S. Pulaski Road. After looking back to where we started and observing the cooperation of the members, the Lord gave Pastor Edward Booker the church motto, "If it can be done, we can do it".